Richmond Cricket Clubs Of The World
Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, UK
Founded in 1837, Richmondshire Cricket Club plays its cricket in the North Yorkshire South Durham (NYSD) ECB Premier League and has won the Premier Division title two years running, last year accumulating the highest number of points in NYSD history.
Led by 1st XI Captain Gary Pratt - who famously (or infamously if you’re an Aussie) ran out Australian Captain Ricky Ponting in the 2005 Ashes – the Club is going for a hat trick of NYSD Premier League titles. With six men’s teams turning out every week, Richmondshire is one of the largest clubs in the North East.
With six men’s teams turning out every week, Richmondshire is one of the largest clubs in the North East.
Goodwood Cricket Club is a Sunday village cricket team that play during the summer in the grounds of Goodwood Park, near Chichester. The ground overlooks Goodwood House and is owned by the Duke of Richmond and Gordon.
It is thought to be one of the oldest cricket clubs in the world. It had strong links with Lord's, as the 4th Duke was one of the original backers of Thomas Lord.
Today, the club and ground is owned by the Duke of Richmond and Gordon but run by a group of volunteers that make up the Goodwood Cricket Club Team
Richmond Green, London, UK
Richmond, London Home club (circa 1666– 1743); village teams associated with The Princes Head pub and The Cricketers pub
The Cricketers, Richmond Green. The Green was a popular venue for cricket matches during the 18th century and before. The earliest reference to cricket on Richmond Green is from an 1666 letter by Sir Robert Paston, a resident of Richmond
The earliest known fixture on the Green was Surrey v Middlesex in June 1730. Surrey won the match, although the runs are not recorded.
Perhaps the most infamous game to be played on the Green took place the following year on 23 August when a Mr Chambers organised an eleven-a-side game against the Duke of Richmond's team from Sussex. It is the earliest match where team scores are known: Duke of Richmond 79, Mr Chambers 119; Duke of Richmond 72, Mr Chambers 23–5 (approx.). The game ended promptly at a pre-agreed time although Mr Chambers with "four or five more to have come in" and needing "about 8 to 10 notches" clearly had the upper hand. The end result caused a fracas among the crowd at Richmond Green who were incensed by the prompt finish because the Duke of Richmond had arrived late and delayed the start of the game. The riot resulted in some of the Sussex players "having the shirts torn off their backs; and it was said a law suit would commence about the play".
The first reference to a "Richmond" team playing at Richmond Green is also the last reference to its use as a first-class cricket venue. This was on 4 July 1743 when Richmond & Kingston were beaten by London. The noted batsman Robert "Long Robin" Colchin, of Bromley, played for London as a given man
The Green is presently home to two village cricket teams each affiliated to two of Richmond's pubs, The Princes Head and The Cricketers.
Richmond Cricket Club, British Columbia, Canada
Richmond Cricket Club was founded in 1966, when Ivor Dunham was shown a map of Minoru Park. He was told that if Richmond formed a cricket team, he could have use of what is now today’s ground, on the understanding that it would be a team for the City of Richmond and the ground area would be “open space recreation”. Ivor, Martin Gresham, Peter Mason and Terry Howard put together a club which joined the Mainland Cricket League in 1967 and played its first match against Langley on April 29th. The first home game at Minoru was played the following week.
The Club has always been tied to the City and has always been a multicultural club, welcomes new members and encourages juniors.
A second team was formed in 1968 and a third, in 1982. Since then fourth and fifth teams have been added and in 2007, a sixth team was formed, thus making Richmond Cricket Club the largest club on the Lower Mainland, at this time.
The Club has kept to its original agreement with the City of Richmond and over the years has been well supported by the City.
United C.C. was formed in 1983 by a diverse group of individuals - Arthur O’Sullivan (Jamaica), Winston Seesahai (Trinidad), Charles Switzer (U.S.), Sukhdev Walia (India) and Ramesh Vasireddi (India). The goal was not only to play cricket but also to provide an opportunity to socially interact with peoples of different cultures and enrich their experiences.
United strived to promote and raise the standard of cricket in the Bay Area and in the U.S.. It has maintained a tradition of bringing new talent in the NCCA and from a small group of 5 had grown to a size of 50 members by 1994. Members are mostly immigrants from Australia, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Caribbean Islands. To accommodate its ever increasing membership roster, United entered a second team in the B division in 1986, which eventually got promoted to the A division in 1991, after winning the B Division League Championship in 1990, which is now known as United-2 or U2.
Richmond, California, USA
United first began playing at Contra Costa College in Richmond, a very small ground, and the same year managed to get permission to play at Lamoine Park, Richmond. As it experienced occasional interference from the baseball and football groups at Lamoine, United sought other facilities and eventually moved to Fairmede Park in 1985, where it got permission from the City of Richmond to build a proper clay based pitch. United C.C. was the second club to have a proper clay wicket after Marin C.C.
Realizing that a strong and healthy NCCA is a prerequisite for the survival and growth of cricket, United has maintained a tradition of actively participating in the conduct and operation of the League.
Cape Province Cricket Team, South Africa
The Richmond–Mahinda Cricket Encounter is an annual cricket big match played between the first XI cricket teams of Richmond College and Mahinda College in Galle, Sri Lanka. It is one of the longest cricket match series in Sri Lanka, having been played for over 100 years. The match which is also known as the "Lovers' Quarrel" in public, is played at the Galle International Stadium. Lovers' Quarrel was begun in 1905, under the two principals Rev. James Horne Darrel of Richmond College and Mr. Frank Lee Woodward of Mahinda College.
Richmond Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Founded in 1854 as the Richmond Cricket Club, the Tigers' home ground was for most of its history the Richmond Cricket Ground (better known as the Punt Road Oval), just a few hundred metres to the east of the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground. It was a founding member of the Victorian District/Premier Cricket competition in 1906/07.
In 2011, the club moved its home base from Richmond to the Central Reserve in Glen Waverley. It continued to be known as Richmond until the 2012/13 season. Since the 2013/14 season, the club has traded as the Monash Tigers, although the club legally remains known as the Richmond Cricket Club.
History Of Cricket
No one knows when or where cricket began but there is a body of evidence, much of it circumstantial, that strongly suggests the game was devised during Saxon or Norman times by children living in the Weald, an area of dense woodlands and clearings in south-east England that lies across Kent and Sussex. It is generally believed that cricket survived as a children's game for many generations before it was increasingly taken up by adults around the beginning of the 17th century. Possibly cricket was derived from bowls, assuming bowls is the older sport, by the intervention of a batsman trying to stop the ball from reaching its target by hitting it away. Playing on sheep-grazed land or in clearings, the original implements may have been a matted lump of sheep’s wool (or even a stone or a small lump of wood) as the ball; a stick or a crook or another farm tool as the bat; and a stool or a tree stump or a gate (e.g., a wicket gate) as the wicket.
A number of words are thought to be possible sources for the term "cricket". In the earliest known reference to the sport in 1598 (see below), it is called creckett. The name may have been derived from the Middle Dutch krick(-e), meaning a stick; or the Old English cricc or cryce meaning a crutch or staff] Another possible source is the Middle Dutch word krickstoel, meaning a long low stool used for kneeling in church and which resembled the long low wicket with two stumps used in early cricket.
Another possibility is that the name derives from the Middle Dutch met de (krik ket)sen (i.e., "with the stick chase"), which also suggests a Dutch connection in the game's origin It is more likely that the terminology of cricket was based on words in use in south east England at the time and, given trade connections with the County of Flanders, especially in the 15th century when it belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy, many Middle Dutch words found their way into southern English dialects.]
First definite reference
John Derrick was a pupil at the Royal Grammar School, then the Free School, in Guildford when he and his friends played creckett circa 1550.
Despite many prior suggested references, the first definite mention of the game is found in a 1598 court case concerning an ownership dispute over a plot of common land in Guildford, Surrey. A 59-year old coroner, John Derrick, testified that he and his school friends had played creckett on the site fifty years earlier when they attended the Free School. Derrick's account proves beyond reasonable doubt that the game was being played in Surrey circa 1550.] There is insufficient evidence that a "1533 poem, attributed to John Skelton (who died in 1529) is the earliest known reference to the sport. The Image of Ipocrisie mentions 'kings of crekettes' and 'wickettes', but provenance is lacking for its authenticity and dating.
The first reference to cricket being played as an adult sport was in 1611, when two men in Sussex were prosecuted for playing cricket on Sunday instead of going to church. In the same year, a dictionary defined cricket as a boys' game and this suggests that adult participation was a recent development.
Early 17th century
A number of references occur up to the English Civil War and these indicate that cricket had become an adult game contested by parish teams, but there is no evidence of county strength teams at this time. Equally, there is little evidence of the rampant gambling that characterised the game throughout the 18th century. It is generally believed, therefore, that village cricket had developed by the middle of the 17th century but that county cricket had not and that investment in the game had not begun
After the Civil War ended in 1648, the new Puritan government clamped down on "unlawful assemblies", in particular the more raucous sports such as football. Their laws also demanded a stricter observance of the Sabbath than there had been previously. As the Sabbath was the only free time available to the lower classes, cricket's popularity may have waned during the Commonwealth. However, it did flourish in public fee-paying schools such as Winchester and St Paul's. There is no actual evidence that Oliver Cromwell's regime banned cricket specifically and there are references to it during the interregnum that suggest it was acceptable to the authorities provided that it did not cause any "breach of the Sabbath" It is believed that the nobility in general adopted cricket at this time through involvement in village games.
Gambling and press coverage
Cricket certainly thrived after the Restoration in 1660 and is believed to have first attracted gamblers making large bets at this time. In 1664, the "Cavalier" Parliament passed the Gaming Act 1664 which limited stakes to £100, although that was still a fortune at the time, equivalent to about £13 thousand in present day terms. Cricket had certainly become a significant gambling sport by the end of the 17th century. There is a newspaper report of a "great match" played in Sussex in 1697 which was 11-a-side and played for high stakes of 50 guineas a side.
With freedom of the press having been granted in 1696, cricket for the first time could be reported in the newspapers. But it was a long time before the newspaper industry adapted sufficiently to provide frequent, let alone comprehensive, coverage of the game. During the first half of the 18th century, press reports tended to focus on the betting rather than on the play.
Gambling introduced the first patrons because some of the gamblers decided to strengthen their bets by forming their own teams and it is believed the first "county teams" were formed in the aftermath of the Restoration in 1660, especially as members of the nobility were employing "local experts" from village cricket as the earliest professionals. The first known game in which the teams use county names is in 1709 but there can be little doubt that these sort of fixtures were being arranged long before that. The match in 1697 was probably Sussex versus another county.
The most notable of the early patrons were a group of aristocrats and businessmen who were active from about 1725, which is the time that press coverage became more regular, perhaps as a result of the patrons' influence. These men included the 2nd Duke of Richmond, Sir William Gage, Alan Brodrick and Edward Stead. For the first time, the press mentions individual players like Thomas Waymark
Cricket moves out of England
Cricket was introduced to North America via the English colonies in the 17th century, probably before it had even reached the north of England. In the 18th century it arrived in other parts of the globe. It was introduced to the West Indies by colonists and to India by British East India Company mariners in the first half of the century. It arrived in Australia almost as soon as colonisation began in 1788. New Zealand and South Africa followed in the early years of the 19th century.
Cricket never caught on in Canada, despite efforts by an imperial-minded elite to promote the game as a way of identifying with the British Empire. Canada, unlike Australia and the West Indies, witnessed a continual decline in the popularity of the game during 1860–1960. Linked to upper class British-Canadian elites, the game never became popular with the general public. In the summer season it had to compete with baseball. During the First World War, Canadian units stationed in Britain played baseball, not cricket.
The Lord's we know today as the Home of Cricket is actually the third incarnation of Lord's Cricket Ground.
The first match ever played at 'Lord's Cricket Ground' came in 1787 when businessman Thomas Lord staged a game between Middlesex and Essex at a newly built ground in what was then known as Dorset Fields - an area of London now known as Dorset Square. A plaque commemorates this.
Marylebone Cricket Club quickly became the premier Club in the country, and a year later laid down a new Code of Laws which was adopted across the game. MCC still owns the Laws of Cricket today.
The Ground proved popular - and profitable for wine-trader Lord, who made the entrance to the Ground his shop.
However, by 1809 London was expanding rapidly and rent was on the rise in Dorset Fields. Lord was looking elsewhere and that year he opened a new Ground in the Eyre Estate in St John's Wood.
For two years both grounds operated alongside each other, but by 1811 the Club had moved to the newer Ground. The second Lord's was unpopular though; lacking in atmosphere, and with a difficult landlord who objected to the opening of a tavern - a central part of watching cricket at the Ground.
There was a stroke of luck for Lord and MCC in 1812 though, when he discovered that the Regent's Canal was due to be built straight through his unloved cricket Ground.
With £4,000 in compensation, he gratefully accepted another plot of land on the Eyre Estate, slightly further up the road in St John's Wood; the current Lord's Ground.
The first match was played there in 1814, and 2014 marked the Bicentenary of the third and current Home of Cricket.
Last updated 02/03/2015