New Richmond, Clermont County
New Richmond is a small town in Clermont County with a population of under 3,000, bordered by the Ohio River. It is built on the river's floodplain, and as such is susceptible to severe flooding.
A Brief History
New Richmond was founded by Jacob Light in 1814, assisted by his nephew, who suggested naming the village after his hometown of Richmond, Virginia.
In 1823, the county seat of Clermont County was relocated to New Richmond, but the seat was moved again a year later to Batavia. In 1828, the General Assembly at Batavia merged the village of Susanna into New Richmond.
'The Great Flood' occurred in 1937, in which the village lost over half of its houses and villagers were required to move about the town by boat.
Last updated 12/04/2015