Richmond, Christchurch, Canterbury
Richmond is a small suburb of Christchurch in the city centre, bordered by Shirley Road to the North, Hills Road to the West, Gloucester Street to the South and the Avon River to the east. The population is approximately 5400.
A Brief History
Canterbury was originally settled in 1250 A.D. by the aboriginal Moa people, passing between various tribes until the arrival of European settlers in 1840. The building of the city was inspired by Christ Church in Oxford, England, built around a cathedral and a college.
Last updated 09/02/2015