Richmond County, Georgia
Richmond County, one of the original counties of Georgia, has a population of over 200,000, and is part of the Augusta, Georgia Metropolitan area of Georgia. It is named after Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond, a British politician and office-holder sympathetic to the American colonies.
A Brief History
Richmond County was created on February 5th, 1777 through the first Constitution of the State of Georgia. It was formed out of a portion of the colonial Parish of St. Paul, after the Revolution disestablished the Church of England in Georgia.
Today it contains the communities of Augusta, Blythe, Hephzibah and Fort Gordon.
Last updated 04/04/2015