Richmond, Sagadahoc County
Richmond is a town of under 4,000 in Sagadahoc County, Maine, located between Gardiner and Brunswick.
A Brief History
The land on which the towns of Richmond and Gardiner stand was purchased from the Abenaki Native Americans in 1649 by Christopher Lawson. In 1719, Massachusetts constructed Richmond Fort on the site of Richmond Village, named after the 1st Duke of Richmond. In 1723, Richmond Fort was eventually dismantled in 1755.
The town of Richmond was established in 1823, and was named after the long-gone fort. In the 1830's, Richmond was an economic centre due to its location on the Kennebec River estuary, reaching its peak years between 1835 and 1857.
Richmond is now a popular tourist destination, and many of the old ports and architecture dating from it's peak remain.
Last updated 11/04/2015